A Refreshing Break

My friend JR gave me a Yeti cooler like the one you see here and I loved it. It was subsequently ripped off much to my chagrin. So I got another one and decorated it and it is one of my prize possessions. I fill it with ice every day and drink a lot of cold, refreshing water for many reasons. My original blood clot in my calf was the result of a crash on my road bike in Ireland and a long plane ride home. Dehydration also played a part and I have been dealing with the results of a DVT and a Pulmonary Embolism ever since. Don’t get me wrong, I am fine. I can ski, run,ride a bike, etc. But I wear a compression sock when I am at my desk or on a plane because my calf swells and I take Coumadin with no effects other than keep my INR in check. But no residual effects of the embolism these 30 years later. Had I taken the time to drink more water, I may have never had any of these things happen to me.

You may never think of it, but in the winter, you need as much water as you do in the summer. At the ski areas out west, there are water coolers everywhere and I always take advantage drinking lots of water at altitude. The first day, I tend to get a headache due to the altitude adjustment but drinking lots of water takes that away and all is well. It tends to be dry out west and in the summer and winter, it is important to hydrate.

Not to dwell on TMI here but I have also had the unfortunate experience of having a kidney stone. Another result of not drinking enough and salts and calcium build up in the kidneys. Maybe one of the most painful experiences of my life and another reason I live with the Yeti cooler at all times.

Nothing is more refreshing after a mountain bike ride than to sit down in my soccer chair and bring out the cooler of ice cold water. I sit there,re-hydrate, and take a breather. Which brings me to the real subject of this post. After 274 posts, 4 years after my wife suggested to me that I write a blog to get all of my stories in my head published,( I also have 2 volumes that I had made into coffee table books), I am going to take a break. I am again out of gas and need to put the Chronicles on hold for a while.

It has been a lot of fun but it is time. I may pick it up again sometime, as it is only a hobby. I have appreciated all the nice comments and not so nice comments. It is nice to see that people have followed the blog and have enjoyed it. My only vision beyond chronicling my adventures and thoughts for my son Jack to read with grandchildren some day down the road, is to encourage people to do things that they might not ordinarily do. As you age, it is important to stay active. Never let people tell you that you are too old to do anything. Try new things. Engage with new friends. Be positive and enjoy what life has to offer. Some people my age come home from work and get a hot bath and watch Fox News all night. What kind of a life is that? It is great to be with people of all ages and I find it especially rewarding to be in the company of younger people while skiing, or riding and hearing what they have to say about the world from a younger perspective. Like drinking water from that Yeti, their ideas are refreshing. So in the mean time, try new things, be kind, be positive, and take that pause that refreshes after a wonderful day in the world. Thanks so much for reading.

24 thoughts on “A Refreshing Break

1. Bill Day says:

Truly enjoyed them all! We’ll have lunch soon.
    Take Care!

2. patmccloskey says:

Thanks Bill. I would enjoy lunch and catching up. Regards to the boys and Sandy.

3. Angela Gladfelter says:

I have so enjoyed reading your stories. Take care my friend!

4. Lynne Hartnett says:

It has been enjoyable following you. I, too, will not give in to the “old age” devils! Hope to see you on the slopes, bike or hike trails for many years to come.

5. eastcoast880 says:

They all been great and inspirational. Thanks for sharing.
    Ryan K

6. Roe Everette, Janet says:

This was a good one. I don’t get the chance to read them all, but appreciate you more than you know.

J.

Please note that effective immediately you should use jroe@armada.net as my only valid email address

Janet Roe Everette
    ARMADA
    McDonald’s Account Management
    2650 Warrenville Road, Suite 340
    Downers Grove, IL 60515
    630-829-5227 (P) | 615-504-1616 (M)
    jroe@Armada.net | http://www.Armada.net

7. Art Bonavoglia says:

It’s all been great reading, and going to miss the entertainment. Can’t believe they took your cooler!

8. patmccloskey says:

Thanks Art. Yes. Hard to believe someone just took it. Thanks for reading and being a friend and supporter.

9. Hutch says:

Pat! The chronicles will be sadly missed while you take a break to recharge. Thanks for sharing your wonderful thoughts and experiences with all of us! I have a feeling you may get the writing urge again!

10. Valerie Reading says:

I’ll miss hearing from you so please come on down for a visit! Valerie

Sent from my iPad

11. LindaV. says:

I have enjoyed your insights and your inspiration to stay in the game.
    Keep on keeping on.

12. Mary Jo Neff says:

Everyone needs a sabbatical break once in a while, the pause that refreshes, much like water. I’ll miss your posts.

13. Loraine Yakch says:

We will miss the Chronicles Pat. Great stories and lessons! Hope after a break we get a third volume. 🙂

14. Mark says:

Pat always great advice, great perspective, and great attitude we are so blessed by your blog it brings a smile to my face, I pray God keeps you on a never ending journey and you fill us in along the way.

15. Dan Ros says:

Thanks for all the wisdom, Pat! Stay well!

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 1:03 PM, chroniclesofmccloskey wrote:

> patmccloskey posted: ” My friend JR gave me a Yeti cooler like the one you > see here and I loved it. It was subsequently ripped off much to my chagrin. > So I got another one and decorated it and it is one of my prize > possessions. I fill it with ice every day and drink a lo” >